Thursday, October 11, 2007
Thursday Thirteen (#1)
My first Thursday Thirteen. My friend Gina got me started on these. Now, lots of our friends have jumped on the bandwagon... I finally found a wagon with a band that I could climb aboard. So here goes!
For my inaugural Thursday Thirteen, I'm going to list:
13 Hobbies I'd never take up.
1. Knitting. Nope. Sorry. I know it's a big deal and lots of folks find it relaxing, but I have tried and I HAVE FAILED. Miserably. Stupid purling and casting off. *shudder* I nearly put my eye out with the needles. No thanks. More power to those who can conquer it!
2. Birdwatching. Down here in the south our state bird is the mosquito. So even if I was trying to watch another type of bird, the mosquito would eat me up before I could say yellow-bellied-sap-sucker.
3. Record collecting. What do you do with all those old vinyl LPs? You can't play them... or maybe you can. But why? I don't know. This one confused me.
4. Hunting. Unless we're talking about looking for Easter eggs in the bushes, I hate every kind of hunting.
5. Pottery. Sure Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze made it look sexy in Ghost, but in reality you need a big ol' wheel that'll take over your living room and giant glops of clay and ick ick ick... your fingernails will get gray and your skin will dry up. No. I'll pass on this one too.
6. Quilting. Tried it. Hated it. Will gladly pay for talented folks with more patience than me to make those beautiful covers.
7. Splatter painting. Now come on. Jackson Pollack was about the only one who got famous for this. Otherwise, you're just being messy.
8. Collecting baseball cards. I wouldn't know Reggie Jackson from Michael Jackson. A pitcher from a belly-itcher. A catcher from a rye. Nope. I'd be a horrible collector of these little gems.
9. Watching Pro-Wrestling. Or should I say WRASSLIN'. I hated it as a kid and I hate it even more as a big whiny adult. Heh heh.
10. Dumpster diving. One word: EWWWW! If you crawl out of a big metal trashcan, waving an incredible find, it'll be lost on me because I can't over the fact that you just crawled out of a trashcan. You know.. where people throw their TRASH? Ewww.
11. Manga. My niece is into this. I just can't get into it. All the characters have crazy hair and giant eyes and tiny mouths and usually some sort of talking animal pet. Not for me.
12. Ham Radio. I used to think you had to use this to order Christmas dinner. But alas, it's just a hobby that doesn't strike my fancy. It's right up there with CB radio. C'mon back, teddy bear. Ten-four, good buddy. *squawk*
13. Anything LEGO related. I've stepped on more of these pieces and hollered more obscenities than a drunken sailor. I was glad to get rid of my old collection. And to find out they're popular again makes me want to build a LEGO rocket and shoot myself to the LEGO moon!